Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pop Up Holiday Market in Centennial Square (and some pictures, as promised)

The next event where I'll be selling some items is the Pop Up Holiday Market at Centennial Square (downtown Victoria), underneath the Ferris wheel and among all the holiday lights. 


The market will run Fridays from 5-10pm and Saturdays/Sundays from 12-5pm from November 29th until December 22nd.  More details can be found at harbour living.  Sadly, the market was rained out today, but hopefully I'll be able to be there tomorrow.  I don't think I'll do any of the Friday nights, but I'll probably do a couple Saturdays or Sundays.  I'll keep you posted when I know which ones I'll be attending.

In preparation for the holiday market, I made some more holiday-themed items.  Like I said in a previous post, I made some jolly holly earrings with glass pearls.  Here are the ones with two leaves (seed beads, bugle beads, glass pearls, gold plate ear wires):


And here they are with three leaves (same materials, just more bugle beads):


I also made a necklace to go with them.  I decided to avoid gold altogether for the necklace and to go back to the cluster of three seed beads as berries.  I'll probably make a pair of earrings to match perfectly.  (seed beads, bugle beads, lobster claw clasp in gold plate):


And here's the necklace again just as a jumble on the table because I almost like it better that way.  I may make a few lengths of this just to wrap around the bases of candles or something.  I think that would be quite pretty, at least until wax started dripping into them, haha.


You may recall that I mentioned that at the Gifts show I discovered I needed to make more variety of lengths for my bracelets.  One customer brought a couple back to me that she'd bought and asked if I could change the length on them, and after we talked for a bit we decided it would be best to add some extender chain since they're gifts and she doesn't know the exact gift size of the recipients' wrists.  Here's a picture of the chain extender I put on, just so you have an idea of what that would look like.  (seed beads, glass pearls, lobster claw clasp, silver plate chain):


I think the little pearl with the seed beads on the end of the chain looks fairly cute.  I chose a larger chain because I thought the size being more consistent with the bracelet itself would be less jarring.  Thoughts?

And last but not least, my fringe necklace that I finished up during the Gifts show.  I promised you a slightly clearer shot, and here it is.  It's still not perfect, but I didn't feel like setting up all my multi-angle lamps just to photograph one necklace.  Next time I do a photo shoot of a bunch of my work I'll get some more pictures of it, assuming I haven't sold it by then.  (seed beads, filigree clasp, mother of pearl "focal" bead):


Since it's a big/fancy piece I've decided to give it a name.  I'm calling it "treasures of the deep" since the idea was that it would look like waves or currents of water, and since the focal bead is made of mother of pearl.

It's probably a fairly safe assumption I won't sell it any time soon (and that you'll therefore get better pictures) since I'm asking $180 for it.  Does that seem reasonable?  I spent about 40 hours making it, but I know no one will pay the $400+ that minimum wage plus materials would cost.  But given all the time, and the sheer volume of seed beads and expensive extra fine beading thread, I'm not parting with it for a small amount either.  In the few hours it was up at the show, it got a lot of attention, so who knows.

That's it for today.  If you've read this and then see me at Centennial Square, let me know.  I should be there tomorrow (Sunday), and I'll post again when I know my next day there.

No comments:

Post a Comment